We are Pete and Lucy. Pete is originally from South Essex and Lucy is from Norfolk. We met while working together at a web agency in London and set up Eat Anglia in 2012 following our move back to East Anglia – Witham in Essex to be precise – after five years in London. Given our background in working on websites, and our passion for food and the region we’re from, it seemed only natural that we should set up Eat Anglia.
Eat Anglia’s aim is to show off the overwhelming variety and quality of food in East Anglia and the exciting and engaging community surrounding it. Whether it’s local produce, restaurants, people, places, recipes, and the history behind all of the above, we are keen to learn more and to share our journey through our blog.
Our inspiration for setting up and continuing to develop the site is drawn from the following beliefs:
- Good food is about ingredients, and East Anglia has a long history of producing high quality crops, meat and fish
- Supporting local businesses is key to boosting the economy – a thriving local economy is not only good for your village, town or city, but it also creates a positive environment which encourages investment and inspires others to set up their businesses there
- Provenance – food tastes better when you know where it comes from. Meeting the people who have made a product and invested their time and energy in making it as good as they can makes eating it more interesting and exciting
- Local doesn’t mean traditional – there is a great diversity in produce and suppliers in East Anglia, which should be celebrated to enjoy cuisines from around the world
- Health – healthy eating begins with an interest in what you are eating and where it comes from
- And lastly, do what you enjoy – Eat Anglia is fuelled by our passion for local food. It’s our way of getting involved and trying to give something back by increasing the visibility and awareness of the local produce and producers which we have enjoyed so much. And maybe, just maybe, we will eventually get to live our dream of running a small, local bookshop and cafe. And for sure, if we do, we’d like you to come along.
If you’d like to know more, have something you’d like to share, or would just like to say hello, we’d love to hear from you. Please fill in the form below and we’ll get back to you, or you can contact us via Twitter @eatanglia.
Update 22/08/13: We’ve added an events section listing food festivals, shows and celebrations as well as regular markets to make it easier to find out what’s going on, where and when – we hope you’ll find it useful.
Image credit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pikerslanefarm/2803518877/sizes/o/in/set-72157602697247458/
If you have any questions about the site, or just need to get in touch with us, please fill in and submit the form below.